Friday, July 04, 2008

Rockin the 4th, Old School

I was planless for the day till I read my friend Mike's column for the week (http://www.whativelearnedsofar.com/) in which he said he was playing Woody Guthrie in his town library's "Meet the Americans" pageant. This was something I had to see and boy, am I glad I did. The pageant, the parade that followed and, of course, the obligatory Kiwanis cookout, added just the right small town, old timey touch to the holiday. It's not every day you meet patriots like Bess Truman, Thomas Jefferson and even Elvis! (Did you know he donated the lion's share of the funds needed to build the Arizona Memorial? I had no idea.) We sang, we clapped and I am just nerd enough to say I got the tap to present the Seventh Amendment at the pageant. It's not the sexiest amendment (I wanted the First Amendment but then everybody wants the First Amendment) but in my pigtails and Converse I rocked it the best I could.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters