Wednesday, June 25, 2008

In Deference to the Master

In honor of the late great George Carlin, who died this week, I offer the following ruminations in his honor as no one loved language and exposing its foibles like he did. (And that was his funniest stuff for my money. I saw him live once late in his career when it was more rant than comedy and there were just glimpses of his true brilliance.)

There is no good phrase for trying to get two people together but I think if we put our heads together we can remedy that.

Matchmaking? A wee bit old country and more than a little Tevya I think, ("matchmaker matchmaker make me a match") like at some point the conversation's going to turn into a negotiation about how many goats it's going to take to get the deal done.

Fixing Someone Up? That's not right and very prejudiced againest the poor singleton. What is this, Noah's Ark? What am I, a broken down house bought at foreclosure? And to put all your eggs all in one basket is downright dangerous in my book-saying another can fix you, though it might make for a good Coldplay song, smacks of codependence to me. How about fixing yourself so then other people will be attracted cause you've got your shit together?

Setting Someone Up? That sounds like a friend is arranging some sort of long con or something. How very David Mamet. And you know no one brings the romance like David Mamet. ("My name? Fuck you, that's my name.")

So yeah, I vote we come up with something a liiittle better-language is an active, evolving thing, it just needs our help to get the ball rolling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters