Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Oh Irresistable Me

Now I have remarked in this blog before about my tendency to attract the tradesman, the earthy blue collar types. When I was in a relationship it was rather amusing-good blog fodder. Now that I am single...not so funny. I don't know what it is about me. I'd ask a male friend but that's the kind of question that makes them want to shove knives in their eyes and vow never to befriend a non tripod again.

I have never, not once, been hit on by a lawyer or even an academic but UPS deliverymen? Yep. Armored car drivers? Uh-huh. Tonight? It was a whole new wrinkle with a taxi driver idling in the parking lot at Meijers. I parked a couple of spots away and when I turned WeeBug off he asked, "Is that a hybrid?"

Now lots of people have asked me about my new car, which I like. It certainly never happened to me before-when you drive a Corolla that's not too shocking. I even had a conversation at a stoplight the other day with me quickly extolling the virtues of the Yaris before the green. So, thinking this was another of that, I stepped closer to the cab to answer, "No, it's a hybrid wannabe." Then Mr. Taxi Man, who was cleaning his sunglasses, asked, "Are you a hot strawberry blonde?"

Whaa? (Admittedly after a hell of a workday I was more than a little slow on the uptake.)

"Mmm, yeah."

"Are you a real strawberry blonde?"

Excuse me?! I thought we were talking about my car and now, Mr. Taxi Man idling in the Mejier parking lot, you're inquiring if the carpet matches the drapes? WTF? I took one giant step back while Mr. Taxi Man starts to chuckle.

"Well, I guess I was half right. I was going to ask you another question but I don't want to hold up your shopping."

"Uhhh, have a good night" I say hastily over my shoulder as it hits me that maybe the sunglasses weren't the only things getting polished. (Cause you know it's important to be polite to those who seek to flash you.)

Have I mentioned lately how great it is to be single?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters