Saturday, June 14, 2008

Farewell Tim Russert

Like everyone else I was stunned by the news about Tim Russert. I was a big fan and watched "Meet the Press" faithfully every Sunday (delayed but faithfully). His enthusiam was one of the things making this presidential campaign so much fun to watch and, though it can be dangerous to assume a celebrity's public persona is their true personality, he seemed like a good soul. It was interesting for his death to bookend my week that also featured David Sedaris. At first blush they wouldn't seem to have much in common but they were/are both devoted to family (granted Sedaris' defination of family is a broad, modern one) and they are both people lucky enough to have that rarest of all gifts-their avocation is also their vocation. It is, more than wealth or fame or enduring love, the gift I envy most. It might not be possible for everyone-somebody has to put that bolt on the fridge or pick up the trash-but it seems like it must make things so worthwhile.


So, in Mr. Russert's honor, and for his son who I'm afraid will never look at Father's Day the same way again, a few lines from Mr. Robert Frost:

"But yield who will to their seperation,
my object in living is to unite
my avocation and vocation
as my two eyes make one in sight.
Only where love and need are one,
and the work is play for mortal stakes,
is the deed ever really done
for Heaven and the future's sakes."

from "Two Tramps in Mudtime"


Also, while we're on the subject, a note to MSNBC. Let's get back to the news, shall we? To spend all day Friday eulogizing was fitting (to see Keith Olberman, who I also love, nonsnarky for once truly brought home the gravity of the situation) but I think it's time to get back to it and I gotta believe Tim Russert would be the first to say it. Carry on people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters