Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Yard Sale-Ur Doin It Wrong

So I was heading back from the library sale last Saturday (coals to Newcastle I know but at $5 a bag a great bargain for a worthy cause) when I drove by a yard sale that looked especially booky. So I pulled over and got out and discovered a row of George Pelecanos books for sale. Now you just don't see Pelecanos books used, at least I don't, and I'm always looking so I was gathering them up (while mentally rearranging my bookshelves to make room of course) when the man of the yard sale approached.

"You're selling your Pelecanos?"

He seemed startled by the question. "Umm, yeah. I, uh, actually never got around to reading them."

"What!?"

"They were gifts."

"You know, he's really fantastic. Lots of music references, great realistic dialogue. Did you ever watch "The Wire" on HBO?"

"I loved that show," he brightened.

"Well, he was one of the writers and producers."

"Really?"

(snarky inner voice 'Yeah, it's called a book flap Sparky-you should check it out sometime.')

"Really," I nodded ruefully, totally seeing how it was going to play out now.

I looked at him. He looked at me. I handed the books back. And as I drove away empty handed I saw him opening the books, studying them as he never had before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters