Saturday, June 28, 2008

Team Jacob, Indubitably

The big book event of the summer is fast approaching. Book 4 in Stephanie Meyer's Twilight series, Breaking Dawn, comes out at midnight on August 2nd and her loyal readers' excitement is mounting. (As well as their ever increasing use of Facebook flair.)

For those not in the know, the Twilight series tells the story of Bella, who meets her true love, Edward, when she moves in with her dad in the tiny town of Forks, Washington. The hitch? Well, Edward is a vampire of course which rachets up the swoony teen angst factor even more. And to make it more complicated, cause in young adult books it's always more complicated, her best friend, Jacob, is also in love with her. Jacob, who is a werewolf. Natch.

Told you it was complicated.

Since Breaking Dawn is projected to be the last in the series (at least the last told from Bella's point of view, apparently we may yet do it all again from Edward's POV) anticipation over who Bella will choose is running high with the Team Edward vs. Team Jacob debate a scheduled event, one where I expect to be standing solo on the Team Jacob side. Yeah, Edward's gorgeous, sparkly and his kisses somehow manage to be both hot and cold at the same time but he's not the best friend. I always go for the best friend, that's just how I roll. You know how when famous gorgeous celebs are asked what they look for in a man and they say someone who makes them laugh? Well, that's me for real. In movies I always go for the wisecracking best friend second banana guy. You can keep the leading man. Duckie from "Pretty in Pink"-yep, he's for me.

So yeah, even though I think the debate is rather bogus, just a stall to keep us girls busily talking till the new book comes out (I had one customer, a grown woman, who, when I told her of my Team Jacob status said, "That's just not right" with the vehemenace normally reserved for religion or politics) I remain firmly, steadfastly, indubitably on Team Jacob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters