Sunday, November 25, 2007

Exit Meadow Enter Margot

So I returned Meadow yesterday. I cried cause it was very sad but I knew deep down it was for the best. Affection is not enough if the fit isn't right.

So I've been scanning newspaper ads and Craigslist for a older mellow cat who would be happy to be an only pet-cool with being by themselves while I'm at work but overjoyed to see me when I come home-and the other day I found one. A 3 year old female Himalayan named Margot (after the Gwyneth Paltrow character in "The Royal Tenanbaums").

I never thought of myself as a Himalayan kinda girl-the first designer breed, Himalayans are a mix of Siamese and Persians and are Martha Stewart's cat of choice-but I was happy to meet her. Then when I met her and saw the conditions she was living in there was no way I wasn't taking her, even if she and I didn't work out. The poor thing was owned by a recent college grad who was now living somewhere else leaving Margot squatting with friends, friends who own the largest housecat I have ever seen (25 lbs+) who bullied Margot unmercifully. She was essentially living under the couch which we had to completely move so I could even see her. It wasn't abuse, it wasn't as bad as the crack house rabbit I once adopted, but I wasn't leaving without her. She walked so slumped over I had to ask if she was injured and, perhaps worst of all for me, she reeks of patchouli oil. (A danger when adopting from college types I guess.) But now, watching her walk proudly around my living room, I know I made the right call.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters