Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Box Set Fun

Over the weekend while petsitting away I OD'ed on boxsets. First, I completed the BBC's "Robin Hood" which was, despite a few lesser epis on Disc 2 (they were just kind of cookie cutter- see Robin be cheeky, see the sheriff fume) was very fun. There was the classic story of course but the legend is well suited for use in a modern way. For example, Robin comes back from the Crusades in the Middle East with an appreciation of all things Eastern, he even quotes the Koran. Some of the stories of the lingering war also seemed to have a distinct Gulf War II whiff.

I also plowed through "Veronica Mars" Season 3 which was bittersweet given its cancellation last spring. Veronica is an excellent thing to watch when you need bucking up because she is hardly ever at a loss for what to do. Her personal life is a mess but she keeps on solving mysteries and righting wrongs. Courtesy of my marathon I had some lingering questions answered (Veronica does vote for her dad in the final scene of the final show) and there was actually one episode that I had missed which was a nice surprise. There was also special features recorded before they knew they were cancelled (which makes sense, why would you pay them otherwise?) including a 5 minute preview of what season 4 might have been if the network had taken the producers up on their offer to fast forward from Veronica Mars teen detective to Veronica Mars FBI. Though I would have missed the old gang (it was weird enough when so many of them all went to the same college, all of them going to the FBI would have been laughable) I absolutely would have tuned in for that show. I hope that Rob Thomas, the creator, gets another TV gig posthaste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters