Saturday, October 27, 2007

I Get the Message Already

Sometimes there's something around or in the air that everyone is talking about or that keeps popping up. Call it zeitgeist, whatever, it can act as a personal tipping point. It's like with recommendations. Tons of people tell you to read or watch something so it's on your list but then there is a particular comment that grabs you and moves that item from on the list to the top of the list.

So a few weeks ago a friend e-mailed how much he was looking forward to the new Edward Hopper exhibition in DC which was interesting in the way that learning which artist people admire can shed some light on them. Then the new Weakerthans record comes out and in the interviews for it John K. Sampson says what a Hopper fan he is and how the orginal intent for Reunion Tour was an entire concept record inspired by that artist. What actually made it on were 2 songs, "Light in an Empty Room" and "Night Windows" (of course if there were to be 2 pop songs inspired by Hopper they would be called "Light in an Empty Room" and "Night Windows") which are, of course, my two favorite songs on the album (so far at least).

Now I won't say it doesn't take a brick to fall on my head cause honestly sometimes it does take a brick to fall on my head but this time I get it. The clue phone is ringing with a call from the universe and I am answering it. For whatever reason I'm supposed to check out Hopper-I get it. I'm on it and heading to the library right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters