Saturday, January 19, 2008

One of the Best Places

Like lots of others today I made my way to downtown Detroit but not to the North American Auto Show. Instead I went to John K. King Books. At 4 floors and 800,000+ titles it's Michigan's largest bookstore-a real book lover's dream. It gets my vote for the most optimistic place in Detroit. (Yes, even more than Ford Field!) Truly, if you can't find something of interest there you are a sad specimen indeed.

I, of course, love all bookstores no matter how modest or cookie cutter, but John King is my most favorite. Everything about it pleases. From its lingering factory feel (they kept the NO SMOKING ON SHOP FLOOR signs) to its long aisles which are always dim no matter how bright the day outside, to the help who, besides the 'hey hon' cashier, are all brusque and very snobby, it's a great place to just get lost. Yeah, I always have a few specific things in mind to look for but I also just appreciate the browse.

Today's finds? A vintage postcard for a project and a new book for my Arctic/Antarctic collection with the rousing title Resolute. It tells the story of one of the many ships sent to rescue Sir John Franklin, the famous British explorer who went missing while seeking the Northwest Passage. This ship was locked in the ice, abandoned by her crew, discovered by whalers a year later and returned to one grateful Queen. When she (the ship not the Queen) was decomissioned 23 years later her timbers were used to make a desk that was presented to then President Rutherford B. Hayes, a desk that is in use in the Oval Office to this day. See? You don't seek out a book like that, it finds you. At a place like John K. King.



Visit John K King when you're in Detroit or online at www.rarebooklink.com

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

The new National Treasure movie mentions the resolute desks. So thanks to Hollywood I know exactly what you're talking about!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters