Thursday, January 03, 2008

Film Favorites~2007

And thus the obligatory end of year list making begins!

I did not see very many movies out this year (only 15) so this list is necessarily modest.



"Sweet Land"

Granted I'm a total sucker for the whole mail order bride thing (the period ones at least, nowadays that's just creepy) but I would have included it anyway since I found it so charming. I also think of it fondly since it spawned my favorite blog comment to date (mostly cause many readers comment privately instead). It's not every day I blog about a movie and then get a comment from the film's producer. Oh, and I still covet that hat the bride wears too.

"Waitress"

Because of my 1990s Hal Hartley worship I was hardwired to like this one-the directing debut of his most famous collaborator, Adrienne Shelley-but I think its blend of just the right amounts of quirk and sass would have won me over regardless of director. And, though it sounds cold, I still say that Andy Griffith should either die or retire after making this one. Go out on a strong note I say, not on another damn "Matlock" TV movie.

"Away From Her"

In a weird 'life imitating art' twist about a week after I watched this the news broke about Sandra Day O'Connor's husband falling in love with a woman at his Alzheimer care facility. There are so many ways to lose someone, when a work of art illustrates a possibility I never considered, it's going to blow me away every time. Bring the whole box of Kleenex.

"Gone Baby Gone"

Yes, those Afflack boys have serious chops. Yes, they made this (though this phrase always bugs me) more than just a genre story. Everyone I know who saw it all wanted to talk about it after, which speaks well for any movie.


"Atonement"

After a few weeks processing time I'm still bugged by the abrupt tone shift in this one but the powerful reveal at the end, with Vanessa Redgrave calmingly dashing the audience's hopes that everything will be okay in the end, only grows in my estimation. The third act of this one (though it's far clearer) and in "No Country for Old Men" actually have a lot in common in that way. Hey, I think there's a paper in that.

"No Country for Old Men"

I just saw this one on New Years so I'm still processing it (can you say windows motif?) but I can already say it's hands down the most unrelentingly intense movie of the year. I didn't see it but I'm pretty sure "Hostel III" can't claim anything near as scary as the first coin toss scene in "No Country for Old Men". I was also happy to see so many favorite familiar faces (Tess Harper, Kelly MacDonald, Barry Corbin) doing such good supporting work.

"Once"

I like this one so much I haven't dared to watch it again even though I'm intrigued by the promised DVD bonus features. (I am a bonus feature slut.) Sometimes you just need to leave it alone, you know? Undoubtedly my favorite movie of 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters