Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Holiday Movies

"Atonement"

I was glad I didn't read the book before I saw this one. I knew a bit of the plot but was pleased there was more to it than I thought. The multiple points of view were put to good effect in a "Roshomon" sort of way and rarely has heated twitterpation been brought so to life on the screen. (hubba hubba) The jump from idyllic countryside to Dunkirk was a bit abrupt for me but both were visually striking. The three actresses who played Briony did an amazing job of the emotional heavy lifting with Vanessa Redgrave (not surprisingly) driving the theme home so strongly in such a brief amount of actual screen time. I also applaud the costume folks who knew just what to do with Keira Knightley though I feel compelled to say Keira, hon, let me buy you a shake. Maybe two.

"Juno"

I was one of the few people who actually read Diablo Cody's book about her adventures as a brainy and pale stripper so I gotta say I feel a little invested in her career. I was curious about her first screen venture, though the preview seemed pretty steeped in that post "Rushmore" vibe. After seeing it that first impression was definately borne out-it's way too self aware and cutesy-but it succeeds better than it has a right to because of the efforts of the actors. Ellen Page does a great job making Juno, under her fast talking sass, a real person with tender feelings and she is ably supported by a great cast.

"Eastern Promises"

I have approached David Cronenberg warily ever since "Dead Ringers". That movie did such emotional damage to me I'm still a little messed up over it all these years later. Just mention the title and I get the piss shivers. But I have been appreciating his recent work which has been less oogy body stuff and more plumbing emotional darkness. After watching it though I was shocked at how slight a story "Eastern Promises" has. There's only one twist really and it's minor and presented, like the violence in the film, very matter of factly. The violence is also striking because there's little or no music in those scenes, the audience is left to their own devices to bring to it what they will. Viggio Mortenson has been praised and, rightly so, for this performance-it would be easy given the full nudity involved to make a crack about him putting it all out there but he really does and I hope that he gets recognition for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters