Friday, June 16, 2006

Tale of Two Kings

So we survived our rock n' roll week, only slightly worse for the wear. Saturday was the Detroit Festival of the Arts which takes place all around the Wayne State University campus. It's a great time regardless, always nice to see people heading downtown to do anything.

First up was Richard Thompson, who we were a little late for because of construction traffic and the inherent difficulty of herding 6 adults anywhere. He was playing a very funny song about ED when we walked up. I snagged a spot on the grass and immediately ceased all conversation. (It's Richard Thompson for god's sake and I'd never seen him before.) Thompson is a total pro of course, after 30 some odd years of performing but he seemed to be having a genuinely good time. While it was light he could definately see the audience and was interacting with specific people and taking requests. (I would have called one out myself but I didn't know what we'd missed.) He also had one of the most beautiful guitars I have ever seen-nothing flashy just solidly perfectly beautiful. He did many songs I wanted to hear ("Bright Lights Tonight", "Cooksferry Queen") but my favorite was "1952 Vincent Black Lightening" with it's pretty guitar melody that carries the weight of the song's sad story. I got a little choked up and had to exchange a meaningful glance with my boyfriend. (i.e. "It's the Vincent Black Lightning song!")

After that (and some festival food) we moved on to another stage and Solomon Burke. Resplendant in purple sequins on a silver throne like seat (we stood, he sat which seemed just right for King Solomon) he was in great voice and extremely welcoming. The band sounded great especially the horn section. Knowing a bit about the man's ups and downs and downs to see a large diverse crowd all enjoying his company together was the best kind of celebration. I hope the man has years and years to go but when he is called home I hope it's after a show like that. A legend could have no more fitting end.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters