Saturday, April 08, 2006

Thyroid Update

Well, it's official. I have Graves' Disease which is not so deadly as it's name might indicate. It's an autoimmune disease (that's 2 for me) in which the immune system attacks the thyroid causing it overperform. I can't say I'm happy about the diagnosis but after 2 1/2 months of waiting to see an endocronolgist it's good to at least have an answer. The treatment for it varies, I am going to have it ablated. This means putting on a lead apron and drinking radioactive iodine out of a lead cup. Ideally the iodine would knock the thyroid back into working correctly but what is more likely to happen is that it will cause the thyroid to underperform, which, with medication, is much easier to manage.

Thanks to everybody who made a thyroid CD-they were all great. Fortunately, I think we can move on to the next theme now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters