Monday, February 27, 2006

Darren McGavin RIP

I was dismayed to read yesterday that Darrin McGavin passed away. The character actor, best known as the dad in "A Christmas Story" or as Carl Kolshak in the original (dare I say only?) "Night Stalker", was one of my favorites. He was funny, he was wise-he was fun to watch. So I was going to make a display when I got to work today in his honor. Which got me thinking about a dinner I had with an author last year where he attempted to take us booksellers to task for the "death displays" we make when (he felt) we don't pay enough attention in life. He might be right but it's true that people will ask for them-death can be good for a career. There's a name for it-that's what we call MORBID SOCIAL INTEREST. Making a display in that case is just good customer service (give the people what they want!) but I also think it's more. It's a tribute that says we're sad you're gone and we're acknowledging your work which is, I thought, one of the reasons why some folks (including said author) do what they do. They want their work to survive them, to live on with their fans. I can't go to Darren McGavin's funeral, I can't shake his kids' hands and say, "Your dad was great"-I can only build a display and try and win him new fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters