Saturday, April 15, 2006

new Pelecanos

I just finished reading the new George Pelecanos book, The Night Gardener (I got an advance copy-it actually comes out in August). I had been saving it because I got bogus info that I had a hospital stay in my future (never trust a gastroenterologist about endocrinology matters) and I wanted a treat while I was confined. I was so excited about it. So excited when I found out I wasn't going to be hosptalized my first thought wasn't "no gown" or "no IV" it was "now I can read the book!". So I did.

You know that feeling when one of your favorite musicians has a new record and you're giving it a first listen-first song "ehh"- second song-"yuck" and by the third song you know.

This one's a clunker. Your favorite has let you down. That was The Night Gardener for me.

The book is a straight up police prodedural about 3 cops (the retired cop looking to put the case haunting him to rest, the good cop looking for justice and the bad cop looking for redemption) and the serial killer they are chasing. If it sounds familiar, it is. Almost everything Pelecanos fans appreciate-the music, food and local references and the heartfelt deep characterization are gone.

If this was an attempt to try something new (a Western, the long promised Young Adult book) I could have rolled with the changes a little more but I know for a fact that is is an effort by George and his editor, Michael Pietsch, to be more mainstream (i.e. cut out everything that people skip over). Well, I never skipped over anything.

I can appreciate it must be frustrating to be stuck in the "writer's writer" ghetto, to write good books that don't sell and I know he's got 3 kids and college is expensive but he can do better. I don't believe neutering your work to be more popular is ever a good idea. You will annoy your long term fans and probably not win any more over in the compromise.

George, you are a Ryan Adams fan, well The Night Gardener is your "Demolition".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters