Saturday, December 24, 2005

Sounds of My Season Vol II

In addition to the funny, crazy customer comments ("I'm looking for an author, I don't know if you've heard of her-Jane Austen?" Oh, the writer who pioneered the novel form as we know it? Yeah, I think I have heard of her.) I've also been enjoying some holiday music.

New Stuff:

"Christmas Songs" by Diana Krall

A little too stutter step experimental jazzy for me-what I like on her regular albums drives me crazy with the Christmas one.

"The Season" by Jane Monheit

If you're only going to buy one "jazz babe" holiday record this season, make it this one. Monheit covers lesser known, more modern songs like "Merry Christmas Darling" and "My Grown Up Christmas List" which works in her favor-her voice is great for those and she's not bumping up againest some classic version that people won't be able to get out of their head.

Old Favorites:

"Christmas" by Bruce Cockburn

One of my favorite holiday records, now sadly out of print. Who would have thought that "Rocket Launcher" dude would be so full of the Christmas spirit? He has some great classics like "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" (done in a muted minor key) along with some spirited spirituals like "Mary Had a Baby" (done with a rousing chorus and loads of handclaps). Someone please get this one back into circulation!

"In the Christmas Mood" by The Glenn Miller Orchestra

Their medleys really cannot be surpassed. It makes you feel wonderfully old fashioned and happy.

"A Charlie Brown Christmas" by The Vince Guaraldi Trio

What can you say about this really? Great for listening to in the dark, with the snow coming down outside illuminated by the tree lights.

"Where Will You be Christmas Day?" by Various artists collected by the folks at Dust to Digital

A fun vintage collection I bought last year that has songs from 1917-1959 including such favorites as "Papa ain't no Santa Claus (and Mama ain't no Christmas Tree)" and the ever festive "Christmas in Jail-Ain't that a Pain".

"Go Tell it on the Mountain" by The Blind Boys of Alabama

A great, great Christmas record sung with soul and loads and loads of feeling. My favorite cut is their duet with Tom Waits on "Go Tell It on the Mountain" which may sound strange on paper but is actually great and perfect when you hear it.


And no holiday season would be complete without hearing:

"Have a Holly Jolly Christmas" by Burl Ives (my favorite secular carol)
"O Holy Night" (my favorite religious carol-the "fall on your knees" part just kills me)
"Christmas in Killinary" by Bing Crosby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters