Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Controversy

There is a fight going on over Christmas. Here in Michigan at the state capitol in Lansing they are debating about changing the name of the decorated evergreen that lives on the lawn of the capitol from the "holiday tree" to the "Christmas tree". I don't know about you but I don't think any Jews or Muslims were fooled.

There are also (as always) competing books-the right leaning one claims the left are "attacking Christmas" while the left one says that the right are using Christmas to fly under the seperation of church and state radar. Like during the last presidential election customers are taking sides, usually quite loudly. If you are sold out or displaying one but not the other you will likely be accused of a bias. Somehow I don't think that's what Jesus had in mind. Especially over a holiday co-opted from the pagans anyway.

As someone who has had 2 people throw things at me this holiday season I can honestly say I don't care if people give me greetings for a holiday I do not celebrate. It's certainly better than some alternatives I can think of. And I celebrate Chrismakkah anyway so they'd probably be correct.

But all this fuss is taking away attention from the real reason for the season- gifts of course. May you get more than your share and have a very Merry Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters