Sunday, November 13, 2005

Elegy for a Friend

Last month my friend, Scott, died. I've been wanting to write about it ever since but the words have been slow in coming.

Scott was the first person I met at the store. I was wildly early because I was afraid I'd get lost. I actually did get lost but was so early I was still early. Scott told me later he spent 10 minutes stitting in his truck wondering if he'd make the wrong first impresion if he wore his camouflage jacket in. He did and it didn't.

That's Scott all over for me.

Much could be made of the "gentle giant" aspect of Scott. Yes, he could play Hagrid, the giant from the Harry Potter books, without benefit of a costume but when I think of him I think of his large heart instead.

At Borders we train 2 types of customer service-external, what we do for our customers and internal, what we do for each other. Though Scott excelled at both he exemplified the internal. You couldn't have a bad day without him asking if you were okay and you couldn't deal with a problem customer without him volunteering to be your backup.

I never supervised Scott directly so we were free to just be work chums. We had similiar ideas about how to lead so he frequently used me as a sounding board. I was always honored he chose me to listen.

Since I am somewhat the store clown I also appreciated Scott's great laugh. You'd say your thing and there'd be a long pause and you'd think-oh well, maybe next time-then it would come. A huge whole body wallshaking laugh. And your whole day would be better for it.

Then it was time for a change. In a decision that seems almost providential now, Scott left the store to spend more time with his family as he said, while his son still wanted to hang out with him. This was his last e-mail to me:

"Sam:

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your kindness. You have always been there for me to answer any questions I had. I thank you for the support you have given me these last couple of years. For being my sounding board and knowing when to gently coddle me or strongly shove me in the right direction. That is a true friend. Once again, thanks for being you.

Your friend,
Scottt"

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger 337is said...

Very nice Sam. It must mean a lot to have such a sweet e-mail from him.

12:22 PM  
Blogger LMR said...

This was a very sweet post, Sam. I too especially remember Scott's laugh. It is exactly the way you describe it!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters