Friday, October 21, 2005

The Joy of Thrifting

The new Salvation Army store opens here tomorrow and I'm very excited. New pickings just a mile away. (Insert me rubbing my hands together in anticipation here.) For a college town Ann Arbor thifting is just okay so I'm hoping the Army can lift things up a bit.

I have always maintained that anybody can take $1000 to Marshall Field's or Barneys and come out with something cool but it takes a real shopper to walk into a thrift store with $20 and do the same. Yes, it takes patience-sometimes pickings are slim-but if you stick with it you'll be rewarded with the J. Crew sweater coat (never worn, tags still on) for $3. Or the $10 vintage leather jacket.

Thrifting's gone 21st century too with the advent of shopgoodwill.com and other sites-you can shop at home in your pjs. Yes, the whole thrifting world awaits and I, for one, can't wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters