Monday, October 10, 2005

My Old Kentucky Home

I've been thinking about home a lot lately thanks to the movies. I saw "Junebug" a few weeks ago which was pretty terrific. (And yes, Amy Adams was as great as the reviews said. She's so in character you feel like she must be exactly like that character to play it so well.) It's about a lot of things, one of which is about living away and how things are when you go home. You belong because it's home and your people but you don't really fit in anymore because your life, your day to day life, is elsewhere. As someone who has lived away from home for 11 years I can relate.

The new Cameron Crowe movie also has me thinking of home. Crowe has a romantic streak that runs deep and wide so I have a huge soft spot for him anyway but when I found out the new movie was "Elizabethtown" as in Elizabethtown, Kentucky I was thrilled. When I saw the trailer where Kirsten Dunst is teaching Orlando Bloom how to say Louisville properly i.e. Luavull (it's not french, it's native) I must admit I squealed. Yep, that was me, sorry about that. Orlando Bloom hanging out at Leatherhead on Bardstown Road? My Bardstown Road? Yeah, you know I'll be seeing that on the first day. My old Kentucky home, six hours hours away, will be a lot closer, for two hours at least.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to see Kirsten Dunst at a restaurant while they where in town filming. My friend ran up to her, asked, "Are you Kirsten Dunst?" after I had told him it was. He came back to the table and said, "It IS Kirsten Dunst!". Duh, now you've made us look like every hick and sycophant portrayed in Elizabethtown.
Hellokitty forwarded me your blog link. Hope you are well! :)
Greg Zoeller

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters