Thursday, September 08, 2005

Songbook Entry #1

One of the most enjoyable books I've read in the last few years is Nick Hornby's Songbook. It's a slim volume that lists his favorite songs and why he loves them. I have the hardback which includes the CD of songs. (If you buy the paperback I think you're on your own in that respect.)
It also has cute little drawings by Marcel Dzama who seems to be the hipster artist of choice (he also did CD covers for Beck and The Weakerthans).

I enjoyed the book so much I am making my own. I think all music fans should-it could be like a passport. We show each other upon meeting and instantly get an idea of each other that would otherwise take a long, long time.

So here's my first entry:

"Famous Blue Raincoat" Jennifer Warnes

Though written by the great Leonard Cohen, this is the version I knew first and love best. A co-worker at Hawley-Cooke Booksellers, Henry Karpinski, thought I would like her Cohen tribute al bum and he was absolutely right. (Isn't a recommendation from a friend the best kind of debt?) Over time this version has become my favorite song to sing in the shower-an important litmus test.

Nick Hornby claims that a pop song intrigues us until we "solve" it. Despite reading the lyrics in Cohen's collection of poetry, Stranger Music and years of debate with other Cohen fans I don't feel like I have solved this one yet. Who is Jane? Who is the woman at the station? The speculation continues...

This song, and Mr. Cohen in general, was also a conversational subject at an important life moment-my enthusiam for the song was the tipping point for my beloved at our first meeting.
(Thanks again Henry!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters