Saturday, September 10, 2005

Neighborhoodies Wish List

For those who don't know Neighborhoodies is the Brooklyn based company devoted to the simple premise that everyone should have their own clothing line. They started with hoodies with neighborhood names on them (natch) and people just ran with it from there.

I have ordered 6 to date-5 for gifts and 1 for me. Mine is a literary allusion, Maycomb Co., the setting of To Kill a Mockingbird. When it arrived there was a card from Michael, the president of Neighborhoodies, complimenting me on my choice. He said he had been considering a Boo Radley one himself. I would have ordered more but they are expensive. Not that I begrudge them a penny-by all reports they run their business right (no sweatshop them) , the quality is extremely high and they're just so damn cool. It's just more than my budget will allow at this time.

So, in lieu of buying more right now, I am compliling a wish list (which satisfies a whole other Sam urge). Most are other allusions, which I think are the coolest. I'm still waiting for someone to get mine but I live in hope.


-Real Right Records (These are all references to George Pelecanos books which are full
Petworth Panthers of cool place references. And since Neighborhoodies does unde-
The Spot ear now too, I could get a set-The Spot sweatshirt with the
Mystery Spot underwear, referencing the Upper Pennisula's
most famous tourist trap of course.)

-Pency Prep (The school in The Catcher in the Rye-I confess I stole this one.)

-Little Five Points (The Atlanta neighborhood where I got my second, cooler, tattoo.)

-Unless (From Dr Seuss' The Lorax)

-Firecracker (From my favorite Ryan Adams song, which could have been a big
hit except nobody was going to go for a song about a plane
going down after 9/11 even if that wasn't what it was really
about.)

-Ruffian (For my favorite racehorse, girl power icon of the 70s.)



Visit Neighborhoodies at www.neighborhoodies.com.

2 Comments:

Blogger LMR said...

I couldn't think of a good neighborhood to put on my neighborhoodie, so I went with my maiden name. Now that I actually live in a city with neighborhoods (yay, Nashville), it seems like it's time to get a new 'hoodie. Problem is, once we buy a house and have an official neighborhood, we'll be too poor to actually afford a neighborhoodie! Ah, the irony!

11:47 AM  
Blogger 337is said...

Guess what Sam? I'm finally getting my own Neighborhoddies for my birthday! We ordered it this weekend...I'll post pcitures when I get it.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters