Saturday, September 24, 2005

Week of the Dog

I just found out that this week has been The Week of the Dog. I haven't ever heard of this holiday, sounds like one of those made up jobs to me but one I am happy to observe.

It has been many years since I had a dog of my own but I live with two. They are my boyfriend's and we all circle around in his orbit. Though I am a beloved pack member (is there any better feeling than seeing a happy dog running at you pell mell as you get out of your car?) I am in no way an authority figure. You'd know if you ever saw me walking them-these dogs have been walked together every day for 5 years but let me man the leashes and it's total Keystone Kops action.

This post would undoubtably be improved by including their photos but I'll have to rely on words alone.

First there is Stanley, the Old Dude. He's a handsome Golden Retriever/Collie mix but he doesn't look like a mutt instead like some fancy new breed you just haven't heard of yet. He has a lovely gold coat with a racing stripe straight up the middle of his long collie snout. The whole combo thing went kind of wrong with the ears though, they ended up way too small for his large frame. With one ear cocked up he still looks puppylike despite the increasing gray gauntness that old dogs get. I love Stan and Stan loves me but he also feels a tremendous responsibility for me. The collie in him says I'm Joe's most valuable sheep who must be protected and herded at all times-it seems I'm forever kneeing his big gold butt out of the way. He is also a bit of a humper-not of people-just other preferably large, dominance-oriented dogs like the massive Rotteweiler Stan glommed onto at this year's Dog Swim. You go Old Dude!

Then there's Sir-Barks-a-Lot aka Otto. The woman who came before me wanted a dog with a beard and Otto fit the bill. (Fortunately for me, she left both shortly after.) At the pound his breed was listed as "Terrier X" ( a great name for a punk band) but happily enough it turns out he is a Portuegese Water Dog. If you have never seen one they are black, about knee high with a curly coat and big hairy Muppet feet. One breed description I read described them as "winsome and full of fun" which doesn't even cover half of it. Otto is a complete Epicurean, like that famous Greek sect he studiously seeks pleasure and avoids pain. One look at him furiously rolling from side to side, snorting with pleasure and you'd know what I mean. He adores chasing the ball, but he's somewhat less enthusiastic about bringing it back (not as much as fun). Otto's youthful good spirits keep Stanley young and us all laughing.

So I observed this Week of the Dog with some chin scratching, ball throwing and a healthy dose of walks-in other words any week with these good, good dogs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters