Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Real Night Stalker

Well, I tried. No one can say I didn't. I watched the premiere of the new "Night Stalker" show and I can't say I was impressed. There were some fun touches-it's made by one of the producers of "The X-Files" (before it jumped the shark) which was inspired by the orginal show so you know they weren't just coattail riding for the hell of it. And the orginal Carl Kolchak, Darren McGavin, made a nonspeaking cameo (in his old garb even) so I can assume we're not going to hear some Adam West style bitching from him. But it wasn't enough.

For those not in the know "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" was an ABC series that ran for 20 episodes from 1974-75. McGavin plays an enterprising reporter for INS (in one of the series' running gags INS, or International News Service, is continually mistaken for other things) who keeps stumbling on elements of the supernatural while investigating his stories, much to the dismay of his editor, Tony (the fabulous character actor Simon Oakland). Kolchak always had his trusty Instamatic camera at the ready but as a photographer he made a great reporter-none of his photos were ever proof enough (if the camera didn't get taken away or smashed by that week's monster). Carl also had his trademark attire-Jack Purcells, seersucker suit and a straw hat perched back on his head. The show is pure 70s camp-the witch who was a fashion designer, Tom Skeritt as a flaming warlock and yes, you could see that zipper running up the back of the lizard suit but it didn't matter. Carl was cool and the chemistry between McGavin and Oakland was great.

I have a special attactment to "Night Stalker" because watching one of the TV movies that started the series is one of my earliest memories. My parents played cards with another couple, instead of a babysitter they brought us kids along. Free of parental supervision we could watch completely inappropriate television (I also remember watching the network premiere of "Rosemary's Baby" this way too.) One night we watched a movie about a strangler. I clearly remember a scene where the strangler was knocking on a door and a woman was coming down the stairs. My five year old self was completely terrified. I spent years after that wondering what that movie was. I wrote the local TV people, asked my family, all to no avail. Finally, 17 years later, one of my then fiance's roommates put in an old TV movie on tape and there it was-just as I remembered it. I was floored but really excited the search was over.

So, now they've redone it and my only question is why? The original was a cult show at best. How many dorks besides me will get it? Why not just make a "Night Stalker" like show as an homage-imitation is the sincerist form of flattery. If I want the new "X-Files" I'll watch "Lost", if I want the Night Stalker I'll tune in to the Sci-Fi channel or, better yet, buy the boxset when it comes out in October.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters