Friday, November 18, 2005

Box Set Whore

Of all the things we carry at the store the most tempting things to me, besides the stationery which I always have a serious jones for, are the boxsets. So big, so beautiful, so complete with special features to make multimedia dorks do the happy dance (hello commentary!). They call my name, begging to be explored-find my Easter eggs they say. My Netflix membership helps ease the pain somewhat (God bless those red envelopes-outside of a personal letter or a check you're expecting they are the best mail ever) but that doesn't really help with the music ones. Those you have to pony up and buy.

One we bought and are enjoying is "Hipeponymous" by the Tragically Hip (get it?). It's got 2 CDs of fan favorites chosen democratically by vote (all of mine are on there) a concert, "That Night in Toronto", which is fabulous and a DVD of all their videos which I had never seen before. It's also got a book with lots of the quirky art they are known for. I didn't really know the Hip (except for the Sarah Polley cover of "Courage" in the movie "The Sweet Hereafter") until I met my boyfriend. Unlike some other musical flirtations that coincided with a particular man in my life, (say Marillion for example) this one's going to stick. I have now seen them 3 times in 3 states and even got into my one and only fistfight at the Fillmore show we attended. (Canadians are crazy about the Hip and in some cases just crazy.)

Another set I just bought (for the great price of $11 I might add) is the anniversary set of "Born to Run". So far I've just listened to the CD but it sounds terrific. Though it's not my favorite Springsteen, it's great. It's a pleasure to hear one of rock's seminal moments at its best. My favorite part? Like plain, music loving girls everywhere I adore the line from "Thunder Road" -"you ain't a beauty but hey you're alright". I look forward to exploring the rest.

1 Comments:

Blogger LMR said...

You and Les share the box set obsession! Although I would be very hesitant to ever lay down the cash required to purchase a box set of anything, I cannot deny that I have majorly benefitted from sharing a home with someone who does. Aside from the awesomeness of getting to hear (or watch) a lot of anything in a special order, box sets just seem kind of rare and therefore anyone seems kind of cool to own them. Enjoy! And keep us posted on the cool ones!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters