Sunday, February 03, 2008

Not Ready for Prime Time Books

Helping Me Help Myself by Beth Lisnick
The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner


After reading these two, which I think could both be fairly be called general nonfiction, I have to say I think they would have been good as an article or an extended NPR piece. Some articles, like Laura Hillenbrand's original one on Seabiscuit from American Heritage magazine, just cry out to be a book but these, not so much.

Helping Me Help Myself tells the story of Lisnick's project to turn her life around with 12 famous self help gurus, 1 a month for a year. It works as an elevator pitch but it reads as gimmicky from the get go, a feeling the book is never quite good enough to surpass. (Kinda like she stole A. J. Jacobs' next book idea.) I liked her Everybody Into the Pool, I thought she might have what it takes to be the female David Sedaris all these essayists seem to want to be but given the lack of heart in this one now I don't think so. If someone is attempting to completely remake themselves I should feel something for them and their journey, but too often Lisnick just goes for the easy comment or laugh. I did feel for her in her frank discussion of finances and budget strain-in the book she describes her frequent gigs dressed as a banana. Living as close to the edge as I do I could relate but it wasn't enough for me to be able to recommend this one.

The Geography of Bliss also tells the story of a journey, this one around the world looking for the happiest places. Again, an interesting idea that fails in the execution. One or two places was fun but by the time we got to India, I was out of steam. Weiner seems like a good sort to have a beer with but he's not as funny as Bill Bryson or as party hearty as Anthony Bourdain and I would have liked this book a lot better if one of them had written it instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters