Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Every Monday Matters-Monday 04

I did actually do this week's task on Monday even though the blog is a little late. This week we were to prepare for an emergency. Like some previous tasks it was simplified considerably by there being only one person to consider since coming up with a plan to meet others was unnecessary. My challenge to have a stash of emergency supplies was more difficult though, due to lack of space. A 500 square foot studio is not exactly full of space for stuff for 'someday', it's already pretty full of stuff for today. However, there was a scary unused corner under the kitchen sink so I found a box that fit for some supplies-nonperishable food, candles, batteries and the like. A few item suggestions from the book that I hadn't considered were a local map, dust mask and moist towelettes.

(An aside-I love any sentence that features the words moist towelettes.)

The book also said that because of contamination, clean water is harder to find than food after a flood which makes sense. So not only do I have bottled water, I also filled and froze some water since the freezer is one other area of my place where there is actual unused space.

I can think of lots of emergency scenarios where I would need more or different things but after 9/11 and the big blackout of 2003 I have some idea but minus a bunker and a budget there's only so much you can do. I think the most important thing about this challenge is the thinking about it. Once the seed has been planted, other ways you might be able to prep will probably follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters