Thursday, January 31, 2008

Medical Groundhog Day

This was the day.

The day I, the needle coward, was to learn how to inject myself.

So I listened to my pysch up song, did some deep breathing and some positive visualization (I imagined myself jamming the needle in my leg just like the WWII grunts in the movies do.) I even lined up a sweet treat for after as a reward.

I arrived and had to wait, natch, and could feel myself growing ever paler as my leg jiggled, jiggled, jiggled. Finally they called me in to read the TB test they did on Tuesday. Before going on Humira you have to be tested for exposure to TB and if you test positive you must be treated for that before you can begin the drug. Unlike the TB test I remember from school immunizations, the new way involves reading an injection site-more art than science apparently since there was no agreement on my result. A positive result? A subdural hematoma? They just couldn't be sure so, unfortunately, must repeat it. And since the test requires 2 days to gestate and they don't work on Saturdays we have to repeat the whole thing all over again next week.

Hopefully we can get it right then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters