Thursday, July 05, 2007

Queenpin

I read the latest Megan Abbott, Queenpin, over the 4th which is appropriate, since it is sure to be described, like it's author, as a firecracker. This one continues in the old school California noir tradition she staked out in her first two books, Die a Little and The Song is You. Expanded from a short story she wrote for the anthology, Damn Near Dead, Queenpin is short paperback, nearly a novella. (Curiously it's a QP original, I would have thought a direct to mass market for summer would have been ideal even if you'd have less of Richie Fahey's classic cover art.) It's a fast funny read with lurid Mob detail and crackling dialogue.

(The dialogue is so good I was wandering around the deserted apartment complex yesterday reading it aloud. I don't think there are plans for an audio book, and after I hearing her read in person I know Megan could more than take care of that her own self but I would totally throw my hat into that ring. I'm not in any union so could work off the books and I talk really fast which would totally work for the material. I'm just saying.)

Though it's 'woman in charge' twist is original, lining up her three books in a row it's an awfully narrow niche. Yeah, she can be the female James Ellroy noir girl like nobody's business but I hope for something more in her next outing. She got the skills to bring to something bigger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters