Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Easy Tiger Song By Song

First Listen:

"Goodnight Rose"

The rose is the symbol for the Cardinals-it's even on the tour shirts and belt buckles-and this one sounds like a extra left over from "Cold Roses". I could see it on Disc One easily fitting between "Magnolia Mountain" and "Sweet Illusion". The Neil Young comparisons I've read do seem apt on this one. It also has the first "I'm sober now" hint with the line "the bar is closed". A good song to start with.

"Two"

Some early reviews (and himself in the importantly titled "Ryan Adams Didn't Die Now the Work Begins" NYT article) have dismissed "Two" as lesser Ryan but I beg to differ. Yes, it does have that polished 'single' feel (hear the Sheryl Crow guest vocal that adds little!) but that's okay it's still choice bittersweet Ryan Adams. Everybody thinks the lines they like best are the truest about the artists they love but the second verse "well, my money's no good/when I'm up to no good/no good ever comes from it honest/I got a really good heart/ I just can't catch a break/if I could I'd love you like you wanted I promise" seems to sum up its author pretty well right down to his 'it's really not my fault' core. Or maybe that's just because of the poignant vocal delivery that makes me put my hand on my chest and go "oh Ryan".

"Everybody Knows"

Another bittersweet gem, this one was flawlessly sung in the show I saw last week. I especially like the seemingly casual delivery of its impact line "you and I together/but only one of us in love"-it hears pretty but cuts hard. I could totally see him augmenting live with selections from Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows".

"Halloweenhead"

Hello Doors influence! (Right down to the thunderstorm ending) I like this one even though I don't like the Doors. I'm not sure I could articulate exactly what a halloweenhead is though I feel like I understand it inutively. The first f-bomb on the record is also dropped in this one. I guess it says something about me but when he sings "I got a bad idea again" as a listener I'm so in for whatever that bad idea might be. I could, however, do without the "guitar solo" declaration. I'm listening pretty close Ryan, trust me.

"Oh My God, Whatever, etc."

More than Halloweenhead this is the title I am voting most likely to be worked into my everyday vernacular for when I am called on to sum up the times when I am made sick and cynical of my own little drama. Extra special bonus points for using a Murphy bed as a cheap sex metaphor-good work sir!

"Tears of Gold"

After one listen I'm throwing this one out.

"The Sun Also Sets"

So poignant, this one sounds like it might have worked as one of the slow songs on "Gold". I hear a little "Wildflowers" or "Goodnight Hollywood Blvd" in it. The line about "one push from the nest" is okay as is "we are only one arguement away from deaf" but "we are only one moment from death"? Not so much for me.

"Off Broadway"

I get that it's lost in your own town but this one is also a throwaway on first listen. The lyrics are weak and it could use a melody. Go ahead, try humming it. See what I mean?

"Pearls on a String"

If there is ever a Whiskeytown reunion this is one solo song Ryan can bring to the party, it would sound so good with Caitlin Cary's fiddle and vocals. This is the happiest "Easy Tiger" gets.

"Rip Off"

Usually I like any song that namechecks a carnival ride (a common Adams image) but this one doesn't do much for me. At least not yet.

"Two Hearts"

Sounds like the second single to me. It's 'bad idea' line makes me wonder if it was written at the same time as "Halloweenhead". Any song that cites a number of words but doesn't say what they are frustrates me. Which three words broke the heart? I hate you? Go fuck yourself? Me You Done?

"These Girls"

I hope the showy string of Ryan's past loves (Alanis, Winona, Beth, Parker, Lindsay, etc) like this song better than I do. I can appreciate the new leaf sentiment and him needing to write this one but I don't think it will have any 'legs' in the long run.

"I Taught Myself How to Grow Old"

Again with the 'I see why he had to write this one'. Entertainment Weekly liked this one best but so far I think it's just okay. I'm glad that Ryan will be growing old so there will be lots more music, though to be honest I never got that preordained doomed vibe from him no matter how bad the substance abuse. Five years from now I'm not sure we'll be hearing this one.


Misc:

I like the photos inside especially the Henry Rollins vs Ryan tattoo contest-though with only 3 myself I would have been bounced pretty quickly I would have liked to been present for that. The front cover (Ryan smoking) is better than the back cover (dog in window) but I wonder about the significance of 4:20 on the watch. (They're selling the watch on tour by the way.)


Overall I am pleased. I don't know if it's the big breakthrough one but it's good. There's more getting to know it and I'm looking forward to it.

1 Comments:

Blogger DDD said...

My biggest gripe with Easy Tiger is that Ryan took one of my all-time favorite songs of his--"Hey There Mrs. Lovely"--rewrote the lyrics (which were incredible in the original version), and turned it into the mediocre "These Girls." I don't get it. Not at all. Why fuck with the original? It was perfect. Overall, I wish I could say I like Easy Tiger more. But I think I only really like 6 of the 13 songs. In my opinion, nothing will ever top Heartbreaker. And I love Cold Roses, Gold, Love Is Hell, Demolition, and Rock & Roll. Jacksonville City Nights? Eh. In any case, I put Easy Tiger pretty low on the list of Ryan albums. It's nice to have a new record, but I just can't warm up to it. 3.5 stars out of 5. Sorry, Ryno. That being said, I will say I liked the new songs better live.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters