Saturday, June 16, 2007

Return of the Prodigal Song

I'm happy to say that a song that had once been lost to me has now come back. I can't speak for anyone else but songs can be tricky that way for me. Ones that are intimately tied in with people become part of the language of that relationship and when that relationship ends the language dies too, at least for a little while. Like being forced to drink from a bitter cup, nothing hurts a healing scar worse than hearing "our song" when you're not expecting it.

But sometimes, after time passes-working its magic-things can come back to you.

I was compiling songs for a wedding/anniversary CD for the newlyweds I know (Surprise guys! I know, a CD from Sam-quick where's the fainting couch?) and World Party's "Sweet Soul Dream" came immediately to mind. I hadn't heard it in years, not since picking it for a first dance for a wedding that never happened and had to hunt it down since I lost the CD in the breakup. When I heard it, it was as good, as rueful and sweet as I remembered but not painful at all. All I thought about was how it would fit into my current project and that felt really, really good. Hopefully, its new listeners will feel the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters