Saturday, March 31, 2007

Another Great Entrepreneurial Idea

As I was watching yet another commercial for yet another Curves for Women knockoff on one of the lesser cable channels I thought their marketing is fine but somehow misses the mark. Support and positive encouragement might work great for some but that's not what really motivates me best. The two things that motivate me best are anger and competition. So why not harness those in some way? Why not have a deck of cards that feature quotes designed to bring out those emotions? Kind of like a negative affirmation deck. Then I thought where better to look for those kind of quotes than in noir?

"She was about two years and ten pounds away from her looks."
"The Dead Their Eyes Implore Us" George Pelecanos

Yeah, that'd make you wanna work out. Or maybe you need to cut down on the food or the booze?

"She'd eat a cow if someone took the horns off."
from "The Devil Thumbs a Ride"

"She was a charming middle aged lady with a face like a bucket of mud. I gave her a drink. She was a gal who'd take a drink, if she had to knock you down to get to the bottle."
Murder My Sweet Raymond Chandler

Yeah, a negative affirmation deck designed to motivate by pissing you off. Perhaps the artists who do the covers for the Hard Case Crime series could illustrate the opposite side so if someone just wanted to have the cards for athethics sake that could work too.

Think about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's more motivated by negative reinforcement than by positive!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters