Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dear AMG

As part of my redoubled efforts to find new employment I was preparing my resume and writing samples tonight to send to AMG (All Media Guide for those not in the know) and my frustration level was high. You have to be professional in these things. When the recipients have no frame of reference for you it's important to come across right, unlike this blog which I fear occasionally comes across like Laurie Notaro in a "This American Life" outtake. The goal is to get a foot in the door, to get an interview where you can really dazzle 'em. But music is such a integral personal thing for me I find it difficult to write about bloodlessly(or without lots of gestures which I don't all have emoticons for). Not to say the AMG reviews are bloodless, they have personality which is one thing that makes me want the gig, but you don't really get to do that so much when your just applying for the job. So, these are some of the things I wanted to say to recommend myself but didn't:


The first song I remember is Steve Miller Band's "Fly Like an Eagle". I was in my plastic pool with my mom. She was wearing her green bikini with the white daisies and I'm pretty sure I was doing some sort of dance/splash combo. I was 2 years old.

My parents had wildly different musical tastes so I am equally familiar with both the entire Barry Manilow canon and the ouevre of Dr Hook, especially their early songs written by the great Shel Silverstein. When my dad dared leave off "The Magical Soup Stone" from a greatest hits CD he burned for my brother and me we both gave him hell. Many years after their heyday hearing their singer Dennis Locorriere singing behind John Hiatt on "Feels Like Rain" was like finding a missing photo of some long lost family member.

I read liner notes and dedications religiously and could have an entire conversation on what it means that James McMurtry's girlfriend's name keeps moving around in his notes from album to album.

When I got married our processional was Vangelis' "Hymne", the recessional was the theme to "Raiders of the Lost Ark" (we got married in a movie theatre). My ex & I were also in a band with some of my co-workers-I played tambourine, cowbell and the vibroslap all of which I still harbor an extreme fondness for. I also sang on "Great Balls of Fire" and did a very saucy take on "Brand New Key".

I have a moderate to severe case of musical Tourette's which, given the right setup, causes me to blurt lyrics in the middle of otherwise nonmusical conversations. Over the years I have managed to modulate my voice when doing it so it doesn't frighten quite so often.

I believe that Hothouse Flowers' "I'm Sorry" is the best musical apology and that in a pinch Lucinda Williams' "Essence" could be used in lieu of K-Y Jelly.

In addition to the above mentioned instruments I also have a weakness for toy piano, Jim Steinman, nonsense words sung repeatedly, The Alan Parsons Project, the stories of Harry Chapin and songs with really slow buildups. I dislike too long solos, annoying intros or codas that have nothing to do with the rest of the song and almost all songs that spell things.


In closing I would add that of all the things that baffle me about other people the non music folks throw me the most. Not liking books or movies-well, okay, whatever but music reaches so deep I think those who don't partake must have a big hole inside. I truly don't get that. And that might be my best qualification of all.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters