Monday, February 05, 2007

Accidentally Accurately Pegged or A Moneypenny in a Pussy Galore World

A few weeks ago I when my Bond reboot fever was at its zenith during an e-mail exchange with another fan I was called Moneypenny. It was a good snappy line that made me laugh a long time but when I stopped laughing and started thinking about it I wondered-isn't it kind of an insult to be called Moneypenny?

Now I realize the person writing was only trying for a witty e-mail and meant no offense but when you're a champion overthinker with a commute..things pop in there.

(Annoying sidenote with more snappy e-banter

When I was explaining to another friend how the pleasure of the e-mail was somewhat tempered by being dubbed Moneypenny he wrote "at least he didn't call you Oddjob" to which I responded "that's only cause he hasn't seen my hat collection".)

As any Bond fan knows Moneypenny never gets the guy, in fact she never leaves the office except to go, humiliatingly as her boss' date, to see the guy marry someone else. Yes, James does flirt with her every time he's in but that's about it. Then there's the name-solid, dependable, not flashy. Not Pussy Galore, not Honey Ryder-Moneypenny.

Yep, that's me all over.

In the myraid of ways the world can be divided Bond girl or Moneypenny is but one and the e-mail got it right. Unless there's some Bond girl I'm unaware of who wears glasses and is called Booksy I am definately, depressingly, a Moneypenny.

Except it's worse since at least Moneypenny gets flirted with and that rarely happens to me. (I mean serious, unmistakable, full contact flirting not just pleasant conversation-I have pleasant conversations with men every day. Especially with tradesmen, for some reason I'm big with the tradesmen.) By that measure I have been flirted with 2 times in the past 5 years. Hell, my friend Marla probably got flirted with twice while I was writing that sentence. It's true I run with a pretty crowd (I was once introduced as the smart one) but those are some sad numbers.

Now I'm not complaining (too loudly)-though we never know how Moneypenny ended up, it is true that you never see one of those Bond girls twice. Like being model thin or well shod some things just aren't going to happen and people should play to their strengths. Not to say I'm going begging, there's always a place for a bright funny girl it's just not center stage or in James Bond's arms.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

too bad my flirting gains me a giant pain in the $%& with losers who wouldn't know gentleman-like behavoir if it bit them in bum.

-marla

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters