Thursday, January 25, 2007

Those Other Awards

Don't worry, I'll get to those nominees announced on Tuesday but first the awards handed out on Sunday night, the Oscars of Thoroughbred racing, the Eclipse Awards. Named of course for the great racehorse (the subject of the best pithy sports writing I know-"Eclipse first, the rest nowhere") they honor the best in the sport.

Invasor took Horse of the Year honors ("Invasor he eees the beeest" as Kenny Mayne would say) with 228 votes to Barbaro's 21 which seems fair. I'm glad the voters didn't let sentiment cloud their voting judgement. I have rooted for Barbaro as hard as anyone-I sent a card and everything-but one race does not Horse of the Year make. I was very happy though, to see that Barbaro's owners, Roy and Gretchen Jackson, shared the Owner of the Year honors. Their willingness to do all humanly possible to save their horse is furthering veterinary medicine immeasurably.

As I predicted Julien Leparoux did win Apprentice Jockey of the Year (you didn't have to be Nostradomus to figure that out given his number of wins) but my girl power favorite Rosie Napravnick did make the board with 7 votes, probably all from Maryland. She's still in high school so there's lots more time for her to win awards. As I wrote here back in May go Rosie go!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters