Friday, August 11, 2006

Roles to Play

Like a lot of creative folks I have participated in pretty much all the arts at one time or another. Photography-check. Dance-check. Band-check. Acting-check.

Yes, I am a dabbler.

I'm really just writing now (although I do love my Print Gocco card maker dearly) and don't feel the need to act except when I see community theater and think "I could do that better". There are, however, two parts I'd love to play, both from graphic novels.

The first is the part of Stella in Steve Niles' 30 Days of Night. It's set in Barrow, Alaska where all hell breaks loose when a vampire convention comes to town drawn by the 30 days of night in the Alaskan winter (think a vampire Apalachin). Stella and her husband are the town sheriffs who try and protect Barrow from the rampaging undead partiers. Stella is very brave but not at all quippy which I appreciate. She rises to the awful occasion well but realistically. I am the right age to play her and could look the part (like Marge in "Fargo" Stella shouldn't be too pretty). For added verisimilitude I also lived in Alaska for a few years so I know all about Carhartts, Sorrells and the long dark winters.

The other part would be either Maggie or Hopey from Jaime Hernandez's "Locas" half of the classic 80s series Love & Rockets (brother Gilbert wrote the Palomar stories which are also great but since I am pretty darn white no way I could not be cast in those). What started out as a spoof of sci fi-Maggie orginally worked as a mechanic for a lantern jawed hero named Rand Race-turned into the story of Maggie's coming of age in the 1980s California punk scene and her on again, off again "friends with benefits" relationship with Hopey. Though I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to play either and I really don't think a movie could do the graphic novels justice, their spirited punk cuteness still appeals 20+ years later.

So, casting directors take note-I am available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters