Wednesday, July 26, 2006

George Pelecanos, Superstar

I was pleased, pleased, pleased to see my author crush's new book, The Night Gardener, honored with a "Book of the Times" review in today's New York Times. In addition, there was also a lovely sidebar article with a great new photo.

(Okay are you ready for the geeky fan asides? In the article his sons are described as African-American even though they are from Brazil. Now I'm just a white girl from Kentucky but I'm kinda confused where Africa comes into it. And Pelecanos is described as having a nice tan-he's Greek. Isn't he that color all the time? Just a thought.)


The publicity onslaught has officially begun.

Now as readers of this blog know this was not my favorite Pelecanos BUT even if I can't laud this particular title, I can applaud the choice of author. He is criminally underread if not under appreciated and more people need to know about him. I hope this is the one that breaks him out big. Then I can say (in a super casual cool way), "Yeah, I know him. I've been reading him for years." I'm rather bummed his tour (not as lengthy a one this time around) isn't coming anywhere close to me (though 7 months of steroids have left me worse for the wear and I'm just vain enough to mind). But if you are in the LA, NYC or DC areas get out there and support him. We need butts in the seats people. Trust me-you'll be glad you did.


*Check out georgepelecanos.com for complete tour info.*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters