Thursday, April 17, 2008

She & Him "Vol. 1"

Sometimes getting to know new music can take work, even for a fan. You're excited about the new release or the recommendation but listening to the unfamiliar, like getting to know someone new, takes time. Usually there's one song to latch onto and listen to repeatedly which then functions as a gateway to the rest of record. If it's a good record. If it's not, you just have that one song. Or a new coaster. Or a throwing star if you're a multimedia martial artist. Whichever.

But sometimes, and these are the best times, you don't need a warmup cause the songs are so wonderful and so much of you that it's like they've always been with you even though you're actually hearing them for the first time. Or, as the Great Gonzo sings so eloquently, (and I've got no problem being less eloquent than the Great Gonzo)

"there's not a word yet/for old friends who've just met"

It's like that for me with the new one by She & Him, "Vol 1". Now I don't know when M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel did the old Vulcan Mindmeld with me-they are very skilled cause I remember nothing-but they've got me down. The opening song "Sentimental Heart" could be my current theme song (and not in an "Ally McBeal" dancing with an imaginary baby way either) with it's plaintive piano plinking that then soars into big vocal fireworks at the end.

It's beautiful. And I love it.

She & Him have an old fashioned sound, rather like Grey Delise in that it's period but from a period that never actually existed. It's Brill Building (Zooey could totally be a missing Cookie!) meets vintage sundress.

And I love it.

Did I mention I love it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters