Friday, July 20, 2007

Random Thoughts

While Coloring My Hair Red to Play Ginny Weasley at the Harry Potter Ball Tonight


-If it's true that the NYT really did go into a store on Tuesday and buy a copy of Deathly Hallows then write and publish a review online (I haven't looked because I want to be surprised) I say shame on them. To ruin the last book in a series aimed at children (and children at heart like me) is really shabby especially for the 'newspaper of record'. I understand the whole scoop idea but really-to treat the thing that has probably done the most to grow future readers for them so poorly does not seem smart.

-Whatever the ending, can Rowling satisfy everyone? Can it be wrapped up that tightly? Seems pretty daunting to me.

-Things are far too serious to have any more Quidditch matches of course but I hope the skills learned there can be put to use in some way. As someone at my work wisely said it wouldn't be British boarding school without a sport everyone is mad for but we've spent a lot of time on it for it not to be used in the end (see Chekov, gun.)

-This is the third release at this particular store and I hope to see some familiar faces-the all girl Brighton Quidditch team who will likely have grown out of their original uniforms by now, the blind girl who charged up to the registration table declaring "Jim Dale (voice of the HP audio books) called me at home to tell me my book is here" and all the other folks whose reserves I have taken the past months. It will be crazy but fun in that 'togetherness of strangers' way. I can't wait!

(timer dings to check hair)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the NYT review. There were no spoilers in the article. The reviewer really didn't put anything in the column that wasn't already "officialy" known. So, journalisticly speaking, I think the NYT can still hold its head up.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the NYT review after a friend linked to it on his blog and said it didn't contain too many spoilers. He was mostly right. The only thing I was disappointed about was Michiko Kakutani's (the author of the review) revelation about the Deathly Hallows. I didn't want to know what they were . . .

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters