Sunday, August 09, 2009

Lizzie, Pick Me! Pick Me!


How much do I love Lizzie Skurnick?

A LOT.

How much do I want her to be my friend?

OMG.


If she and I were characters in one of the young adult books she lovingly (and surprisingly clinically) dissects in her new book, Shelf Discovery: The Teen Classics We Never Stopped Reading, I would WANT to be the cool sidekick friend-quick with a quip and sage advice-but I FEAR I would be the stalker girl-walking too close, invading her space, saying in a pleading voice like nails on chalkboard, "What do you think, Lizzie?"

Oh, how I laughed when I read this book. How seeing those covers, which I would have sworn long forgotten, took me right back. Reading way past bedtime (hello secret flashlight!), the steamy passages breathlessly getting read and reread. And reread. How the spines got broken in such a way so they opened just to those parts. (hello Ralph! and Ralph? Really Judy Blume?)

I want Lizzie to be my friend because she totally would understand why, at least once a year, I check out all the Little House books from the library and read them all in one setting. I want Lizzie to be my friend so I can bore her with my theory about how Laura being the son Pa never had stood her in good stead later in life after Almanzo became an invalid. Lizzie would also understand and applaud my Madeline L'Engle shelf and we could spend long hours discussing why I am a Polly and she is a Meg. (If you don't know what I'm talking about you should GET TO READING).

I also want Lizzie to be my friend because she is, under her full name, a poet with huge gifts with language (just making a gift package featuring her "Bells" to my long distance sweetie RIGHT NOW) and when I e-mailed her for real to beg that she come to my town on her tour, she e-mailed right back to ask if Louisville had good barbeque.

GIRL. AFTER. MY. OWN. HEART.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters