Saturday, May 02, 2009

Have a Great Derby!

I'm so enjoying this Derby Week. It's different to live here while it's going on as opposed to just visiting. Everywhere you go-the grocery, the gas station-people cheerfully call out "Have a great Derby!" as naturally as if it were Christmas or Thanksgiving. I was at the thrift store down in the hood on Thursday (my Derby outfit was a $10 dress and $3 shoes-dirt ass with style being my motto) and the customers were all merry, chatting about what they were going to wear and eat. These people were SO not going to be found in the Turf Club or Millionaire's Row. These people live in Portland and their parties were more likely taking place on grassless lawns with cars on blocks and chained pit bulls (hate to be stereotypical but it's true) yet they were excited, happy and demonstrating way more Derby Spirit than any VIP just flying into town.

I. LOVE. THAT.

My Old Kentucky Home indeed.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters