Sunday, February 22, 2009

(Sometimes) You Gotta Love People

The first time was on Valentine's Day. I was celebrating with my closest friend and her daughter at, of all places, the Golden Corral. And we weren't alone, it was packed. As we were getting our drinks and waiting to be seated my friend struck up a conversation with the man in front of us. (She does this, she and her daughter are SO the 'never met a stranger types'.) He was speaking of his wife, telling us they had been married, "14 years, two months and ten days. Never a cross word the whole time." As we were marveling and digesting that he said, more quietly this time, "Wouldn't trade her for every winning lottery ticket."

Say it with me, awww. Now, that's what Valentine's Day should sound like.

The second time was the other day at work. We had been having a discussion the previous shift about the worst song ever and I was making my case for Richard Harris' "Mac Arthur Park". A classic, perhaps stereotypical, choice I realize but... It's. So. Bad. (I still don't get exactly what the hell that song is getting at.)

Then that got me started on "Orca", my favorite bad movie ever, which also stars the inimitable Mr. Harris. I can't speak of that movie-the horrible overacting and scenery chewing, it's blatant attempt to cash in on "Jaws"-without getting all exhausted by paroxysms of laughter. So then when I went to let in my co-worker she was holding up an LP. It was "The Love Songs of Richard Harris" which she had found the afternoon after our conversation for 99 cents. I was delighted-it was the best, most thoughtful gift. It's horrible and wonderful at the same time.

Kinda like people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters