Monday, July 14, 2008

Retribution

I finally finished Retribution, Robert B. Parker's sequel to his fine, fine Western, Appaloosa. Like last time I didn't actually read it I listened to it on audio, warmly performed by Titus Welliver, of "Deadwood" and "Gone Baby Gone" fame. It was terrific, an audio that makes you take the long way home and linger in the driveway (or parking lot-whatever). In it, Everett Hitch has new work as a bouncer in a lawless town. His partner and best friend, Virgil Cole, shows up just in time to go up againest the wealthy town leader who is trying to squeeze every dollar from the poor homesteaders. It's a gripping struggle well told, it is Parker after all, but lacks the gravitas of Appaloosa. (Think another adventure vs. the ultimate struggle.) Also, Cole's lady love, Allie, looms large even though she's not actually in this book but as I was listening I kept wondering when Cole is going to wake up and realize his true soul mate is not some chippie who can't be true but rather the man riding beside him (and not in a "Brokeback Mountain" way either).

And, though I am looking forward to "Appaloosa" the movie and generally approve of the casting (Ed Harris and Viggio Mortenson) I do feel a twinge for Titus. Hollywood doesn't care two bits about who reads the audiobook but he'll always be the voice of Hitch to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters