Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Call to the Post

After much consideration and rewatching of all the major preps (and workouts!) I offer my Derby picks, with the usual disclaimer that I am more the racing historian/fan than a true handicapper. (Although I did have Street Sense last year.) If a person is just as happy to simply go to the track and not place a single bet perhaps you should think twice before throwing in with them montarily. But, here we go:

-Colonel John. Yes, he hasn't raced on dirt yet but his works at Churchill all show a horse who likes the surface. I also think he's going to be peaking at the right time which, coupled with good racing luck in a heavy traffic, is the most important thing.

-Pyro. Lots of people hopped off the Pyro bandwagon after his crap performance in the Blue Grass but that was his first time on Polytrack and I think it's safe to call him a Polyhater. He should bounce getting back on the dirt.

And to get some $$ for my exotics I'm also looking at Denis of Cork and Visionaire.

What about Big Brown? Too inexperienced, I think, to get the Derby especially with his running style starting from in Post Position 20 (WTF?) Only 1 horse has ever won from 20 and that was Clyde Van Dusen in 1929 and you totally don't want your horse to ever be in that kind of sentence with that kind of plater.

So grab your hats ladies and get set for the big day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters