Sunday, February 24, 2008

Two Hearts

Well, the wedding was yesterday-everybody showed up and said "I do" when they were supposed to and now my friend Mike is a married man. It was a lovely event and I couldn't be happier for them. It's not often you are asked to bear witness to someone's dream coming true so it's important to note those with care. I've been fortunate in that all the recent weddings I've been invited to have been ones were ones where all the attendees are pleased-either because it's been so long coming as to almost be anticlimatic or because it was so unexpectedly out of the blue-which makes a huge difference in the atmosphere of the whole event. I had a brief conversation with some older relative, one of those that spring up among friendly strangers, who shared the fact that he had been married to the same woman for 56 years and if he had it to do all over again he would choose exactly the same. Since he was speaking to 2 single guests it could have been a conversational disaster but it was said so simply and with such conviction that it went over well. The other listening party said to this man, "Tell her" (meaning his wife) but somehow, I think she already knows.


*For those keeping score at home (cause what I wore is so important) I wore my black dress with a vintage yellow beaded cardigan. But between my friend's brown/burgandy Grecian wrap dress, flaming red hair, 4 inch heels and 'hello ladies!' cleavage it really didn't matter. It's not for nothing that she refers to me as "the smart one".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters