Tuesday, August 21, 2007

All Things Cohen

1.

As I believe I have said here before, I am a Leonard Cohen fan. I was first introduced to his music when I was being bad, as bad as I have ever been. We're talking shame your momma bad here. So, for it to later be a tipping point for my current sweetheart's initial interest was one of those great full circle moments that would strain credulity in a novel or film but actually seem to be fairly common in real life. And yes, I do take it as some sort of sign.

2.

A few days ago I was waiting on a customer looking for some Cohen, specifically the soundtrack to the documentary "I'm Your Man". When I found it for her she was dismayed that the Rufus Wainwright's cover of "Hallelujah" featured in the movie was not included. (I myself prefer the Jeff Buckley one, Joe swears by the John Cale.) While I was finding it for her elsewhere we chatted about the movie. I said though of course I could listen to Mr. Cohen for hours, I found it a bit disconcerting to hear him speak so prosiacally about how some of his songs came about, especially his explanation of "Suzanne". To hear he didn't sleep with her at all and that the tea in question was actually just Constant Comment kind of took the mysteriousness away I had always attributed to that song. The customer looked at me and said, "I think you can still think about it that way. In fact, I think you should."

I thanked her for her permission.

3.

The Jennifer Warnes Cohen tribute "Famous Blue Raincoat" was finally released today on CD for the first time, 20 years after its original release. I was still listening to my cassette copy recorded for me back in the day by a co-worker, Henry Karpinski. I had no idea that a release was even planned so it was a very welcome surprise. It was a great drive home with me turning it up loud and perusing the liner notes. (I had no idea Stevie Ray Vaughn and David Lindley played guitar on it!) There are also some very charming thank yous from the man himself (not surprisingly, being a poet and all, he gives great thanks)

"dear jenny
the way you sing
and the way you handle the english language
these gifts are not widely
or democratically distributed
i stand by my orginal astonishment

thank you for affirming our friendship
it has been precious to me too
your encouragement has been critical
to my survival

much love from your old friend
leonard"

And this in response to Warnes' 1956 B+ grade school essay, included in the notes, on St. Bernadette ("Song of Bernadette" is one of the songs on the tribute):

Dear Jenny,

It is quite clear that your imitation of St Bernadette, praying the rosary, and your belief in Our Blessed Lady, did save the world from Communism. A special Papal Commission has been convened to study your case, and the rumor in the Vatican is that your grade will be elevated to A+. I hope that you will keep on praying for the safety of the world. To tell the truth, I depend on your efforts.

Much love,
Leonard

How nice it is to discover new things to love about a record I knew so well already and what a treat to have music to enjoy that speaks so easily and deeply to my heart and head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters