Saturday, August 18, 2007

Accidentally Trendy

From my recent shopping excursions I have determined that fleur de lis are big this fall, I have seen them on many things. So since I have one on my body in permanant ink (it's our sibling tattoo, my brother has one too) I figure I am so in. Though it feels good to be at the forefront of a trend, I have to say I have been here before.

I liked sunflowers for years and had many sunflower things then they got popular in the early 90s and I looked hip for about a season then was left with what looked like last season's leftovers. The same thing with the whole Shackleton thing (though I would characterize my admiration as more an enduring driving passion than a trend-after all I do have a shrine to the man in my home) I had read all the books years before and looked smart. Then the interest waned and people weren't really impressed by my mastery of those particular facts anymore. (He didn't lose a man people!)

So I'll ride this one out too and enjoy looking trendy while I can.

1 Comments:

Blogger LMR said...

I have never managed to be trendy accidentally, so I'm totally impressed that this has happened to you more than once!

I'm only ever in fashion after the fact. I am generally suspicious of fashion trends (this doesn't make me cool, I want to emphasize, just ridiculously cautious) and I don't adopt them until I am sure they're really going to take off. By then, no one else is into them, so I'm buying last year's styles at a discount and wearing them alone (well, the people in North Dakota are wearing them with me since it takes a while for trends to spread to the Dakotas).

So, I usually just follow my own fashion, which makes me happier and saves me money, but means that I am never trendy. Fortunately, I have a somewhat classic style (read: boring), so I never look like I came from another planet or am wearing the same thing I wore 20 years ago. I just look oblivious to current trends.

It would be funny to start showing people your fleur-de-lis tattoo and say, "Well, they're just SO in this year, I had to have one!" I bet you would get some interesting reactions!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters