Thursday, January 01, 2009

It's Kind of Like the Technical Awards Already Given Out At Another Ceremony

Yeah, that.

Before we get to the prodigious (and prestigious!) liner notes for my best of 08 mix CD we first must doff our hat to the Honorable Mentions. They were on the bubble, some of them until the last minute. Hats off and a job well done. (And extra special thanks to RLB, who gave me so much music in 2008 my consideration pool was overflowing.)

"Methamphetimine" Old Crow Medicine Show

Never has a cautionary tale/warning been so darn catchy. Methamphetimine is really not something that should be sung with a smile on your face but OCMS's harmonies are so sweet you really can't help it.

"Carpetbagger" Jenny Lewis/Elvis Costello

I don't think these two have voices that go together at all (Costello just gets harder and harder to harmonize with doesn't he?) but this song totally works anyway.

"Cathedrals" Joan Osbourne

A great song with a great line "and spending a lifetime/figuring out just what that is" that I couldn't get out of head. A defination of life and home that I had not considered. And believe you me I did some thinking about both subjects in 2008.

"Damage" Tim Brantley

Never heard of him before or anything but this song but was always super happy to hear it when it came on the radio this fall. There's probably a sniglet for that syndrome.


A couple of other favorite artists who had new records in 2008 that are not featured on the CD are John Hiatt (the man gave me a birthday card so it makes me feel like the worst kind of heel not to include him but I found the new one just okay) and Drive-By Truckers (same goes for their new one, I'm still missing Jason Isbell I guess).


A few other songs with local ties that I would have included if I had the power to do so were Julie Martin's "Love We Threw Away" (you can check it out on her MySpace page) which was written by and performed with my pal, T.O. It's bittersweet and beautiful, just the thing for night listening with a drink at your elbow, melancholy thoughts in your mind. I've only ever heard it on my computer but that small sound actually suits it fine. I wish Julie would come to this side of the country, I'd love to see her live.

Nathan Salsburg lives here but has a drop dead cool job working for the Alan Lomax Archive (insert pea green job envy here). After reading a profile in a local magazine I was intrigued by his own music as well (also found on MySpace) which is frequently inspired by racing and favorite racehorses. I lost one whole day this fall discovering his work (he also has a radio show {"Root Hog or Die on East Village Radio"}, blog {Root Holler and Die} and record label {Twos and Fews}) and wishing he was my friend in that 6th grade "you're so cool be my friend" way. I like all the racehorse songs but would have included "Blues for Eight Belles" which is a lovely tribute to a lovely filly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters