Sunday, December 28, 2008

Best of 2008-Movies

I didn't see many movies in the theaters this year so the field was slight. The envelope please...


"Wall*E"- Without a doubt, hands down, the best of year. I'd put it up for Best Picture if I could. Funny, meaningful, heartwarming-it's great for kids of all ages. It also uses the technology in service of the story instead of the other way around. A fantastic acheivement that likely won't get it's due because of the perception of it as a kiddie movie. As I said previously, a movie that makes you happy to be a person is, by defination, a good movie. (A special nod to Alec Kazam, the magician's rabbit star of the short before the movie. I'm happy to say a Alec feature is forthcoming, one I will be looking forward to greatly.)


Other notable films:

Also in from the 'good propaganda for humanity' category "Be Kind Rewind" also warmed my heart in 2008. Hopefully, that one, with it's gentle simple story, will find even more fans on DVD.

Though it was not as good as the book-as a true blue fan my expectations were super high-"Appaloosa" was a fine and respectful adaptation. The interplay between Viggo Mortensen and Ed Harris was spot on and should rank among the best of the cowboy buddy portrayals. Unfortunately, not enough people saw this one for it to make much of a splash come award time.

The same could be said for "Frozen River" which featured the criminally underused Melissa Leo (somebody get her another show already!). It's not easy or fun but well worth the time and attention.

Somebody who will be celebrated at award time, and justly so in my book, is Heath Ledger. His Joker went so far above and beyond the normal superhero criminal mastermind as to raise the bar permanently. He will and should be nominated and recognized for such work.

"Man on Wire" was my favorite documentary of 2008. I still think about images from that movie months later.

And last, but certainly not least, "4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days" blistering portrayal of friendship and the lengths people will go to in its name is forever burned on my brain. I wonder still what I would have done in that situation and if I would have been found wanting. People on both sides of the divide that is the debate on abortion should check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Web Site Counters